Having in mind that Agriculture is a strategic and fundamental sector which is pivotal to the overall growth and development of the economy, the State’s Agricultural policy provides a synthesis of the framework and action plan of Edo State Government designed to achieve growth and development.
The State Policy is formulated in tandem with the National Policy on Agriculture. The policy thrust of the State is geared towards achieving the following:
- Attaining self-sufficiency in the production of basic food commodities
- Producing raw materials to meet the growing needs of an expanding Agro-industry;
- Producing and processing Agricultural commodities for export using improved production and processing technology.
- Generating gainful employment opportunities for the economy and stemming rural-urban drift through improvement in infrastructure facilities in the rural areas; and
- Providing improved varieties of other inputs and techniques that will accelerate the achievement of the above stated goals.
In cases of existing farmers in the areas to be acquired by Government, an alternative land measuring at minimum, twice the only previously held, be offered for relocation of farmers under the out-growers scheme